Alternative names 

Ingestion of high amounts of wax or crayons.

Poisonous Ingredient
In general, wax is not poisonous. If a child eats a small amount of crayon, the wax will pass through the child’s system without causing a problem. However, if a child eats a large amount of crayon or wax, the intestines could potentially become blocked.

Where Found

  • Crayons  
  • Candles  
  • Canning wax

Note: This list may not be all inclusive.


  • Gastrointestinal       o May cause intestinal obstruction if consumed in large quantities

Home Treatment
Call Poison Control.

Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:

  • The patient’s age, weight, and condition  
  • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)  
  • The time it was swallowed  
  • The amount swallowed

Poison Control, or a local emergency number
A poison control center will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control Centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Bring a sample with you to the emergency room.

What to expect at the emergency room

If it is necessary to go to the emergency room, symptoms will be treated.

Expectations (prognosis)
Recovery is very likely.

Johns Hopkins patient information

Last revised: December 5, 2012
by David A. Scott, M.D.

Medical Encyclopedia

  A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-9

All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.