Wart preparations

Wart remover poisoning is an overdose of the ingredients in wart remover preparations.

Poisonous Ingredient

  • Salicylates  
  • Other acids

Where Found

  • Many wart remover products, such as:       o Clear Away       o Clear Away Plantar       o Compound W       o DuoFilm       o DuoFilm patch       o DuoPlant for Feet       o Freezone       o Gordofilm       o Hydrisalic       o Keralyt       o Lactisol       o Lactisol-Forte       o Maximum Strength Wart-Off       o Mediplast       o Mosco       o Occlusal       o Occlusal-HP       o Off-Ezy Wart Remover       o Panscol       o Paplex Ultra       o PediaPatch       o Sal-Acid       o Sal-Plant       o Salacid 25%       o Salacid 60%       o Salactic Film       o Trans-Plantar       o Trans-Ver-Sal       o Vergo       o Verukan       o Viranol       o Viranol Gel Ultra       o Wart Remover

Note: This list may not be all inclusive.


  • Body as a whole       o Burns from repeated exposure  
  • Eyes, ears, nose, and throat       o Severe irritation from exposure       o Ringing in the ears  
  • Gastrointestinal       o Nausea and vomiting       o Bleeding in the stomach       o Diarrhea  
  • Kidneys       o Kidney failure (from salicylates)  
  • Blood       o Too much acid in the blood (low pH)

Home Treatment

Do Not induce vomiting. For any ingestion, potential burn, or inhalation, seek emergency medical care immediately.

Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:

  • Patient’s age, weight, and condition  
  • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)  
  • When it was swallowed  
  • The amount swallowed

Poison Control, or a local emergency number
Call Poison Control or your local emergency number - they will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Take the container with you to the emergency room.

What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:

  • For swallowed poison       o Placing a tube down the nose and into the stomach (a nasogastric or NG tube) to wash out the stomach       o Administering activated charcoal       o Taking a blood sample to determine salicylate level in blood       o Giving IV fluids       o Admission to the hospital       o Treating the symptoms  
  • For skin exposure       o Irrigation (washing of the skin), perhaps every few hours for several days       o Skin debridement (surgical removal of burned skin)       o Admission or transfer to a hospital that specializes in burn care

Expectations (prognosis)
Skin symptoms will result from irritant properties. The extent of salicylate (aspirin) poisoning will depend on the blood level of salicylates found. Recovery is likely if the acidic effect of the salicylate can be neutralized.

Johns Hopkins patient information

Last revised: December 7, 2012
by Mamikon Bozoyan, M.D.

Medical Encyclopedia

  A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-9

All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.