Arisaema triphyllum; Bog onion; Brown dragon; Indian turnip; Jack-in-the-pulpit; Wild turnip
Poisoning caused by consumption of plant material from Jack-in-the-pulpit.
- oxalic acid
- asparagine, a protein found in this plant
Note: The roots are the most dangerous part or the plant.
- Arisaema triphyllum (Jack-in-the-pulpit)
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- body as a whole o burning in mouth o swelling of tongue o swelling of mouth o slurred speech
- eyes, ears, nose, and throat o burning pain in the throat o teary eyes
- gastrointestinal o nausea and vomiting o diarrhea
Wipe out the mouth with a cold, wet cloth. Give milk to drink.
Wash skin with water. If eye involvement, irrigate eyes with water.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- the patient’s age, weight, and condition
- the name of the plant and the parts eaten
- the time it was swallowed
- the amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the person to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Bring the plant with you to the emergency room for identification.
What to expect at the emergency room
- Treat the symptoms.
Plants containing oxalic acid may cause swelling severe enough to block the airway, but this is very rare.
by Amalia K. Gagarina, M.S., R.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.