Poisoning from an ingestion of beeswax.

Poisonous Ingredient  
Beeswax, other than potentially causing intestinal obstruction in rare cases of extremely large ingestions, is considered relatively non-toxic.

Where Found  

  • Beeswax


  • May cause some gastrointestinal obstruction with resulting abdominal pain.

Home Treatment  
Call Poison Control for further guidance.

Before Calling Emergency  
Determine the following information:

  • The patient’s age, weight, and condition  
  • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)  
  • The time it was swallowed  
  • The amount swallowed

Poison Control, or a local emergency number  
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Bring a sample of the beeswax with you to the emergency room.

What to expect at the emergency room  

  • Treat the symptoms. Note: The patient may not need to be seen in the emergency room. Expectations (prognosis)   Since beeswax is considered relatively nontoxic, recovery is very likely.

    Johns Hopkins patient information

    Last revised: December 3, 2012
    by Gevorg A. Poghosian, Ph.D.

    Medical Encyclopedia

      A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-9

    All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.