Sulindac overdose

Poisoning from an overdose of Clinoril.

Poisonous Ingredient 

Where Found 

  • Clinoril


  • Body as a whole       o Unsteadiness       o Chills  
  • Respiratory       o Slow, labored breathing       o Wheezing       o Slow or Rapid breathing  
  • Eyes, ears, nose, and throat       o Ringing in the ears       o Blurred vision       o Photosensitivity  
  • Skin       o Rash  
  • Gastrointestinal       o nausea       o Vomiting       o diarrhea       o Stomach or Abdominal pain       o Possible loss of blood in the stomach and intestinal areas  
  • Heart and blood vessels       o Low Blood pressure  
  • Nervous system       o Severe headache       o Dizziness       o Agitation       o Incoherence (not understandable)       o Confusion       o Coma       o Drowsiness       o Convulsions       o Movement disorder

Home Treatment 
Call Poison Control for instructions.

Before Calling Emergency 
Determine the following:

  • The patient’s age, weight, and condition  
  • The name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength if known)  
  • The time it was swallowed  
  • The amount swallowed  
  • If the medication was prescribed for the patient

Poison Control, or a local emergency number 
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Take the container with you to the emergency room.

What to expect at the emergency room 
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:

  • Use gastric lavage.  
  • Administer activated charcoal.  
  • Administer a laxative.  
  • Treat the symptoms.

Expectations (prognosis) 
Recovery is very likely.

Johns Hopkins patient information

Last revised: December 5, 2012
by David A. Scott, M.D.

Medical Encyclopedia

  A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-9

All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.