Cinfacrom; Mercurochrome; Merbromin overdose
Poisoning from an overdose of merbromin.
- some antiseptics
- body as a whole o thirst o metallic taste o dizziness o decreased urine output (may stop completely) o salivation o mouth lesions o shock
- respiratory o extreme difficulty breathing
- eyes, ears, nose, and throat o swelling within the throat to the point of closing it off
- gastrointestinal o abdominal pain (severe) o vomiting o diarrhea (bloody)
Call Poison Control.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following:
- the patient’s age, weight, and condition
- the name of the product (ingredients and strengths if known)
- the time it was swallowed
- the amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Take the container with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
- Use gastric lavage.
- Administer activated charcoal.
- Administer a cathartic (a medication used to evacuate the bowels).
- Give an antidote.
- Treat the symptoms.
If an antidote is given within 1 week, recovery is usually likely. If the poisoning has been of a chronic nature, any mental deterioration may never be totally overcome.
by Simon D. Mitin, M.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.