Poisoning from an ingestion of soap.
Most bar soaps are considered relatively non-toxic.
- Various bar soaps
For any toxic exposure or allergic reaction, seek emergency medical care immediately. Call Poison Control for further guidance.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Take the container with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
- Treat the symptoms.
Note: It may not be necessary to take the patient to the emergency room.
Recovery normally occurs.
by Amalia K. Gagarina, M.S., R.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.