Here are tips to help you remember things:
- Make associations with the things you are trying to remember - even if the associations are silly.
- Repeat to yourself what it is you want to remember later.
- Make lists either on paper or in your head.
- Think of faces when trying to remember names.
- Read a lot if you have trouble with vocabulary. Keep a dictionary close by.
- Avoid becoming stressed or anxious if you can’t remember something at first.
- Keep your mind stimulated with activities, especially as you get older. (This helps keep the nerve cells in the brain active).
- Minimize your consumption of alcohol and use of medications that could aggravate your ability to remember.
- If you are no longer able to perform daily activities efficiently or if you are uncomfortable by yourself - see your health care provider.
by Dave R. Roger, M.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.