Poisoning from an overdose of propyl alcohol.
- Rubbing alcohol
- Alcohol swabs
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- Unresponsive reflexes
- Low urine output
- Uncoordinated movements
- Slowed and/or labored breathing
- nausea and Vomiting
- Vomiting blood
- Abdominal pain
- Low Blood pressure
- Lethargy, stupor, or coma
Seek emergency medical care immediately. Call Poison Control. DO NOT INDUCE Vomiting unless instructed to do so by Poison Control.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths if known)
- When it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
See poison control centers for the national telephone number. Take the container with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
- Administering activated charcoal.
- Using gastric lavage (pumping the stomach).
- Treating breathing difficulties.
- Maintaining blood pressure.
- Using dialysis.
- Treating other symptoms.
Recovery depends on amount ingested, amount of time before treatment, and occurence of kidney damage. Ingestion of isopropyl alcohol is potentially fatal.
by Arthur A. Poghosian, M.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.