This poisoning is from an ingestion of pine oil.
- Various cleaning products
- Some porcelain cleaners
- Body as a whole o Convulsions
- Respiratory o Difficulty breathing
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat o Difficulty swallowing o Throat burning o Eye burning
- Gastrointestinal o Abdominal pain o diarrhea o nausea o Vomiting
- Heart and blood vessels o Rapid heartbeat
- Nervous system o Unconsciousness o Dizziness
Seek emergency medical care immediately. Call Poison Control. DO NOT INDUCE EMESIS (Vomiting) UNLESS INSTRUCTED TO DO SO BY Poison Control.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Take the container with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
- For swallowed poison o Placement of a tube down the nose and into the stomach (a nasogastric tube, or an NG tube) to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage). o Activated charcoal administration. o Endoscopy - the placement of a camera down the throat to see the extent of burns to the esophagus and the stomach. o Give IV fluids. o Admission to the hospital. o Give an antidote. o Treat the symptoms.
- For skin exposure o Irrigation (washing of the skin), perhaps every few hours for several days. o Skin debridement (surgical removal of burned skin). o Admission or transfer to a hospital that specializes in burn care.
With any toxic ingestion or exposure, recovery and prognosis depend on the extent of the exposure and time to treatment. Ingestion of these products can have severe effects on many bodily systems. Immediate medical treatment increases the likelihood of full recovery.
by Levon Ter-Markosyan, D.M.D.