Poisoning caused by consumption of plant material of the philodendron plant.
- oxalic acid
- asparagine, a protein found in this plant
Note: The leaves and stems are the most dangerous if eaten in quantity.
Note: This plant may have other names.
- body as a whole o burning in mouth o swelling of tongue o swelling of mouth o slurred speech
- eyes, ears, nose, and throat o burning in throat
- gastrointestinal o nausea o Vomiting o diarrhea
Wipe out the mouth with a cold, wet cloth. Give milk to drink.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- the patient’s age, weight, and condition
- name of the plant and the parts eaten
- the time it was swallowed
- the amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Bring the plant with you to the emergency room for identification.
What to expect at the emergency room
- Treat the symptoms.
Oxalate plants may cause swelling severe enough to block the airway (causing breathing difficulties), but this is very rare.
by Mamikon Bozoyan, M.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.