This poisoning is caused by ingestion of regular pencil lead.
- Regular pencils
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- Gastrointestinal o Stomach ache o Vomiting
Note: There may be no symptoms.
Graphite is relatively nontoxic. Contact Poison Control for further information.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the person to the hospital. If it is necessary, bring a pencil sample with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed on the patient:
- Observe the patient.
- Treat the symptoms.
Since this chemical is normally nontoxic, recovery is likely.
by Gevorg A. Poghosian, Ph.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.