Pen ink

Alternative names 
Ink - writing

Definition
Poisoning from an ingestion of writing ink.

Poisonous Ingredient
Writing ink is generally considered non-toxic.

Where Found

     
  • Pens

Symptoms

     
  • May cause eye irritation  
  • Staining of skin and other mucous membranes

Home Treatment
For any toxic ingestion or allergic reaction, seek emergency medical care immediately. Large amounts of writing ink must be consumed (more than an ounce) before treatment is necessary. Call Poison Control for further guidance.

Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:

     
  • The patient’s age, weight, and condition  
  • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)  
  • The time it was swallowed  
  • The amount swallowed

Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the person to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Take the container with you to the emergency room.

What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:

     
  • Washing of ink from the eyes or skin  
  • Treat the symptoms

Expectations (prognosis)

As these products are generally considered non-toxic, recovery is very likely.

Johns Hopkins patient information

Last revised: December 8, 2012
by Armen E. Martirosyan, M.D.

Medical Encyclopedia

  A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-9

All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.