Poisoning caused by an overdose of paradichlorobenzene.

Poisonous Ingredient 

  • paradichlorobenzene

Where Found 

  • various toilet bowl deodorizers  
  • moth repellant

Note: This list may not be all inclusive.


  • Gastrointestinal       o Abdominal pain       o nausea and/or Vomiting       o diarrhea  
  • Respiratory       o difficult breathing  
  • Mouth       o burning in mouth  
  • Skin       o yellow skin (jaundice)  
  • Nervous system       o slurred speech       o headache       o weakness

Home Treatment 
Call Poison Control Center for appropriate treatment instructions.

Before Calling Emergency 
Determine the following information:

  • the patient’s age, weight, and condition  
  • name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength if known)  
  • the time it was swallowed  
  • the amount swallowed

Poison Control, or a local emergency number 
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Bring the poison container with you to the emergency room.

What to expect at the emergency room 
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed on the patient:

  • Use gastric lavage.  
  • Administer activated charcoal.  
  • Treat the symptoms.

Expectations (prognosis) 
Full recovery may take several weeks to months.

Johns Hopkins patient information

Last revised: December 5, 2012
by Potos A. Aagen, M.D.

Medical Encyclopedia

  A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-9

All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.