Neatsfoot oil

Poisoning caused by an overdose of neatsfoot oil.

Poisonous Ingredient 

Neatsfoot oil is generally considered to be nontoxic.

Where Found 

  • Some cosmetic products

Note: This list may not be all inclusive.


Usually there are no symptoms

Home Treatment 

  • Generally considered nontoxic.  
  • Call Poison Control for further information.

Before Calling Emergency 
Determine the following information:

  • the patient’s age, weight, and condition  
  • name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)  
  • the time it was swallowed  
  • the amount swallowed

Poison Control, or a local emergency number 
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Bring the poison container with you to the emergency room.

What to expect at the emergency room 
The following procedure may be performed:

  • Treat the symptoms.

Note: The patient may not need to be seen in the emergency room.

Expectations (prognosis) 
Recovery is likely, because neatsfoot oil is relatively nontoxic.

Johns Hopkins patient information

Last revised: December 8, 2012
by Brenda A. Kuper, M.D.

Medical Encyclopedia

  A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-9

All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.