Myristical oil is from nutmeg and/or mace, which can be found in health-food stores. Toxicity is usually from overdose or allergic reaction. Exposure to the eyes or other mucous membranes can also cause irritation.
- oil from the seed of a nutmeg
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- body as a whole o Convulsions o dry mouth
- eyes, ears, nose, and throat o eye irritation o double vision
- gastrointestinal o Abdominal pain
- heart and blood vessels o rapid heartbeat
- nervous system o agitation o anxiety o brief euphoria (exaggerated feeling of well-being) o delirium o drowsiness o hallucinations o light-headedness
Call Poison Control. For any toxic ingestion, seek emergency medical care immediately.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- the patient’s age, weight, and condition
- name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- the time it was swallowed
- the amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Bring the poison container with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
- use gastric lavage
- give charcoal
- give fluids
- symptom management
This material is not very toxic. Recovery is likely.
by Amalia K. Gagarina, M.S., R.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.