Poisoning from eating the any part of the plant but especially the berries of the mistletoe plant.

Poisonous Ingredient 

  • toxic amines

Where Found 

  • The toxin is found in all parts of the plant, but its highest concentration is in the leaves.


  • body as a whole       o weakness  
  • eyes, ears, nose, and throat       o blurred vision  
  • gastrointestinal       o Vomiting or nausea       o Abdominal pain (lower stomach)       o diarrhea  
  • heart and blood vessels       o irregular or slow heartbeat       o Low Blood pressure  
  • nervous system       o drowsiness       o confusion       o hallucinations       o disorientation       o Convulsions

Before Calling Emergency 
Determine the following information:

  • the patient’s age, weight, and condition  
  • the name of the plant  
  • the time it was swallowed  
  • the amount swallowed

Poison Control, or a local emergency number 
Call the national poison control number, 1-800-222-1222. They will tell you whether it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. If so, bring the plant with you to the emergency room.

What to expect at the emergency room 
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:

  • induce Vomiting  
  • administer activated charcoal  
  • monitor vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, and so forth)  
  • monitor EKG(monitors heart function)

Expectations (prognosis) 

If the individual survives the first 24 hours their chances of survival are very good.

Johns Hopkins patient information

Last revised: December 6, 2012
by Simon D. Mitin, M.D.

Medical Encyclopedia

  A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-9

All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.