Poisoning from exposure to the toxin secreted by the millipede.

Poisonous Ingredient 

  • millipede venom

Where Found 

  • millipedes


  • brown skin staining  
  • intense burning and/or itching of exposed skin  
  • blisters

Home Treatment 
Wash the exposed area with plenty of soap and water. DO NOT USE ALCOHOL TO WASH THE AREA. Wash eye(s) with plenty of water if any toxin gets in them. Notify the health care provider if any toxin got in the eyes.

Before Calling Emergency 
Determine the following information:

  • the patient’s age, weight, and condition  
  • the name of the insect if possible  
  • the time the person was exposed to the toxin

Poison Control, or a local emergency number 
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the person to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses.

If possible, bring the insect to the emergency room for identification.

What to expect at the emergency room 

  • Treat the symptoms.

Expectations (prognosis) 
The symptoms usually resolve within 24 hours after exposure. May be more serious with eye exposure.

Johns Hopkins patient information

Last revised: December 6, 2012
by Simon D. Mitin, M.D.

Medical Encyclopedia

  A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-9

All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.