This poisoning is from ingestion of a liquid make-up.
Multiple non-poisonous ingredients
- Various liquid make-up products
Note: Most products are considered non-toxic, although large ingestions may be toxic. Allergic reactions are possible.
- Respiratory o Difficulty breathing (from inhalation or allergic reaction)
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat o Burning pain in the throat o Blurred vision o Burns to the eye
- Skin o Rash
- Gastrointestinal o Vomiting o Abdominal pain o Diarrhea (watery, bloody)
- Heart and blood vessels o Low blood pressure
- Nervous system o Stupor o Coma
With any toxic ingestion or allergic reaction, seek emergency medical care immediately. Call Poison Control for further information.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Take the container with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
- Treat the allergic reaction with diphenhydramine and prednisone.
- For swallowed poison: o Placement of a tube down the nose and into the stomach (a nasogastric tube, or an NG tube) to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage). o Activated charcoal administration. o Endoscopy - the placement of a camera down the throat to see the extent of burns to the esophagus and the stomach. o Give IV fluids. o Admission to the hospital. o Give an antidote. o Treat the symptoms.
- For skin exposure: o Irrigation (washing of the skin), perhaps every few hours for several days. o Skin debridement (surgical removal of burned skin). o Admission or transfer to a hospital that specializes in burn care.
Since these products are considered relatively nontoxic, recovery is very likely.
by Brenda A. Kuper, M.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.