Aspergillus antigen skin test
Aspergillus is a mold. An antigen is a substance that stimulates the immune system to eliminate or fight foreign substances in the body. This skin test detects hypersensitivity to aspergillus.
How the test is performed
The test site (an area with hair, usually the forearm) is cleansed. The antigen is then injected into the area. If there is a positive reaction, the area should turn red and develop a lump (similar to a mosquito bite) within ten minutes of injection. The lump should be at least 3 millimeters in diameter to be considered positive.
How to prepare for the test
Infants and children:
The preparation you can provide for this test depends on your child’s age, previous experiences, and level of trust. For general information regarding how you can prepare your child, see the following topics:
- Infant test or procedure preparation (birth to 1 year)
- Toddler test or procedure preparation (1 to 3 years)
- Preschooler test or procedure preparation (3 to 6 years)
- Schoolage test or procedure preparation (6 to 12 years)
- Adolescent test or procedure preparation (12 to 18 years)
How the test will feel
There will be a brief sting as a needle is inserted just below the skin surface.
Why the test is performed
The test is to detect hypersensitivity to the mold aspergillus.
A negative reaction or no inflammation at the test site is normal.
What abnormal results mean
If a positive reaction occurs (the test site is inflamed), you are hypersensitive to the aspergillus mold. You may have the disease known as pulmonary aspergillosis.
What the risks are
There is a slight risk of anaphylactic shock (a severe reaction).
by Amalia K. Gagarina, M.S., R.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.