Hair bleach poisoning
Poisoning from an overdose of hydrogen peroxide.
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Hair bleach
- Some contact lens disinfectants
Note: Household hydrogen peroxide has a 3% concentration; hair bleaches usually have a concentration of greater than 6%.
- Body pain
- Burns in the oral cavity and throat
- Temporary white appearance to exposed skin
- Abdominal discomfort and cramping
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. For eye exposure, flush with water for 15 minutes. Contact your local poison control center.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths if known)
- When it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
If hydrogen peroxide has been swallowed, seek medical care immediately at your nearest emergency room, or call poison control. Take any containers with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
- Inserting a gastric tube to prevent pressure build-up
- Treating the symptoms
Full recovery is common after minor exposure, but serious complications from gastrointestinal burns or gas build-up can occur.
by Sharon M. Smith, M.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.