To prevent heartburn, avoid foods and bevarages that may trigger your symptoms. These include alcohol, caffeine, carbonated beverages, chocolate, citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, tomato sauces, spicy or fatty foods, full-fat dairy products, peppermint, and spearmint.
Also, try the following changes to your eating habits and lifestyle:
- Don’t smoke.
- Sleep with your head raised about 6 inches.
- Lose weight if you are overweight.
- Reduce stress.
- Avoid tight-fitting belts or garments around your waist.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Avoid bending over or exercising just after eating.
- DO NOT lie down with a full stomach. For example, avoid eating within 2-3 hours of bedtime.
- Eat smaller meals.
by Levon Ter-Markosyan, D.M.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.