This poisoning is caused by ingestion of regular pencil lead.
- Regular pencils
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- Gastrointestinal o Stomach ache o Vomiting
Note: There may be no symptoms.
Graphite is relatively nontoxic. Contact Poison Control for further information.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the person to the hospital. If it is necessary, bring a pencil sample with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed on the patient:
- Observe the patient.
- Treat the symptoms.
Since this chemical is normally nontoxic, recovery is likely.
by Levon Ter-Markosyan, D.M.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.