This poisoning is caused by an overdose of a glaze.
- Various glazes (paint, ceramic)
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- Body as a whole o Metallic taste o Pale complexion o Tremor o Twitching o Convulsions o Paralysis o Muscle soreness o Fatigue o Weakness o Joint pain o Increased thirst o Uncoordinated movements
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat o Yellow eyes o Visual problems
- Skin o Yellow skin
- Gastrointestinal o Loss of appetite o Weight loss o Constipation o Vomiting o Diarrhea o Abdominal pain
- Heart and blood vessels o Low blood pressure o High blood pressure
- Nervous system o Easily excitable o Coma o Hallucinations o Lack of desire to do anything o Irritable o Uncooperative o Headache o Inability to sleep o Confusion
Note: These symptoms are generally seen only in chronic ingestion or exposure.
Call the Poison Control center for guidance. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING! If the substance is on skin or in eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes. If the substance was swallowed, give water or milk IMMEDIATELY. For inhalation poisoning, remove person to fresh air.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Bring the poison container with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
- For swallowed poison o Placement of a tube down the nose and into the stomach (a nasogastric tube, or an NG tube) to wash out the stomach o Activated charcoal administration o Endoscopy - the placement of a camera down the throat to see the extent of burns to the esophagus and the stomach o Give IV fluids o Admission to the hospital o Give an antidote o Treat the symptoms
- For inhaled poisons o A breathing tube may need to be inserted o Oxygen o Admission to the hospital or to the intensive care unit o Bronchoscopy (inserting a camera down the throat into the airway to evaluate the extent of burns to the airway and lungs)
- For skin exposure o Irrigation (washing of the skin), perhaps every few hours for several days o Skin debridement (surgical removal of burned skin) o Admission or transfer to a hospital that specializes in burn care
Extensive damage to the mouth, throat, and stomach are possible. The ultimate outcome depends on the extent of this damage. Damage can continue to occur for several weeks after the hydrocarbon was swallowed.
Death may occur as long as a month after the hydrocarbon was swallowed. Those who survive may suffer from some permanent brain damage.
by Amalia K. Gagarina, M.S., R.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.