Poisoning caused by consumption of plant material from the elephant ear plant.
- oxalic acid
- asparagine, a protein found in this plant
Note: Leaves and stems are the most dangerous if eaten in quantity.
- Calla Lilly
- Arisaema triphyllum (Jack-in-the-pulpit)
- Colocasia (elephant ears)
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- body as a whole o burning in mouth o swelling of tongue o swelling of mouth
- eyes, ears, nose, and throat o burning in throat
- gastrointestinal o nausea and/or vomiting o diarrhea
Wipe out the mouth with a cold, wet cloth. Give milk to drink.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- the patient’s age, weight, and condition
- the name of the plant
- the time it was swallowed
- the amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Bring the plant with you to the emergency room for identification.
What to expect at the emergency room
- Treat the symptoms.
Oxalate plants may cause swelling severe enough to block the airway, but this is very rare.
by Amalia K. Gagarina, M.S., R.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.