This poisoning is due to ingestion of a deodorant.
- Ethyl alcohol
- Aluminum salts
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- Various deodorants
- Body as a whole o Unable to walk in a normal manner o Slurred speech o No urine output o Collapse
- Respiratory o Difficulty breathing (from inhalation or allergic reaction)
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat o Burning pain in the throat o Blurred vision o Burns to the eye
- Skin o Rash
- Gastrointestinal o Vomiting o Abdominal pain o Diarrhea (watery, bloody)
- Heart and blood vessels o Low blood pressure
- Nervous system o Stupor o Coma
For any toxic exposure or allergic reaction, seek medical care immediately. Give the patient milk or water to dilute the aluminum salts, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider or the patient is unable to swallow due to convulsions or unconsciousness.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Take the container with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
- Treat the allergic reaction with diphenhydramine and prednisone
- For swallowed poison o Placement of a tube down the nose and into the stomach (a nasogastric tube, or an NG tube) to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage) o Activated charcoal administration o Endoscopy - the placement of a camera down the throat to see the extent of burns to the esophagus and the stomach o Give IV fluids o Admission to the hospital o Give an antidote o Treat the symptoms
- For skin exposure o Irrigation (washing of the skin), perhaps every few hours for several days o Skin debridement (surgical removal of burned skin) o Admission or transfer to a hospital that specializes in burn care
Due to the dilute concentrations of aluminum salts and ethanol, severe toxicity is unlikely. Survival over 24 hours usually indicates recovery will follow. However, death may occur as late as a week after ingestion (if enough of the product was consumed).
by Amalia K. Gagarina, M.S., R.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.