Poisoning from an overdose of cyproheptadine, which is an antihistamine.
This list may not be all inclusive.
- body as a whole o dry mouth o unsteadiness o tremor o convulsions
- eyes, ears, nose, and throat o dilated pupils o blurred vision
- heart and blood vessels o rapid heartbeat
- nervous system: o Depression o excitation o confusion o drowsiness o nervousness o hallucinations o disorientation o delirium o seizures
Contact Poison Control for guidance.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- the patient’s age, weight, and condition
- the name of the product (ingredients and strengths if known)
- the time it was swallowed
- the amount swallowed
- if the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Take the container with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
- Induce emesis unless seizures are imminent.
- Administer activated charcoal.
- Administer a laxative.
- Use gastric lavage.
- Treat the symptoms.
If the patient survives the first 24 hours, survival is likely. Few patients actually die from an antihistamine overdose.
by Arthur A. Poghosian, M.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.