Ingestion of high amounts of wax or crayons.
In general, wax is not poisonous. If a child eats a small amount of crayon, the wax will pass through the child’s system without causing a problem. However, if a child eats a large amount of crayon or wax, the intestines could potentially become blocked.
- Canning wax
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- Gastrointestinal o May cause intestinal obstruction if consumed in large quantities
Call Poison Control.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
A poison control center will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control Centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Bring a sample with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
If it is necessary to go to the emergency room, symptoms will be treated.
Recovery is very likely.
by Sharon M. Smith, M.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.