Poisoning caused by excessive ingestion of chlorophyll.

Poisonous Ingredient 
Chlorophyll is generally nontoxic.

Where Found 

  • Plants  
  • Some cosmetics  
  • Plant foods

Note: This list may not be all inclusive.


Most chlorophyll ingestions have no symptoms. Chlorophyll is considered nontoxic.

Home Treatment 
Call Poison Control for further information.

Before Calling Emergency 
Determine the following information:

  • The patient’s age, weight, and condition  
  • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)  
  • The time it was swallowed  
  • The amount swallowed

Poison Control, or a local emergency number 
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Bring the poison container or plant with you to the emergency room.

What to expect at the emergency room 

  • Treat the symptoms.

Note: The patient may not need to be seen in the emergency room.

Expectations (prognosis) 
Recovery is very likely because chlorophyll is relatively nontoxic.

Johns Hopkins patient information

Last revised: December 8, 2012
by Armen E. Martirosyan, M.D.

Medical Encyclopedia

  A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-9

All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.