Poisoning from an overdose of chlormerodrin.
- chlormerodrin (a form of mercury)
- Neohydrin, Mercloran (mercurial diuretics)
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- body as a whole o thirst o metallic taste o less urine output o no urine output o salivation o red, inflamed areas in the mouth o shock
- respiratory o extreme difficulty breathing
- eyes, ears, nose, and throat o swelling within the throat that may be severe
- gastrointestinal o abdominal pain o vomiting o diarrhea
Seek emergency medical care immediately.
The standard procedure is to induce vomiting unless the patient is unconscious or experiencing convulsions. Before inducing vomiting, contact Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222 for verification.
If instructed to induce vomiting, the standard procedure is as follows:
- Give ipecac syrup: 15 milliliters (ml) or 1 TABLEspoonful for children and 30 ml (2 TABLEspoonsful) for an adult.
- Follow with 1/2 glass or 4 ounces (oz.) of water for children or 8 to 12 oz. of water for adults.
- Repeat 1 more time in 1/2 hour if vomiting has not occurred.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- the patient’s age, weight, and condition
- the name of the product (ingredients and strengths if known)
- the time it was swallowed
- the amount swallowed
- if the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
In the event of an accidental exposure, seek medical care immediately. Call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. Take the container with you to the emergency room.
What to expect at the emergency room
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
- Administer activated charcoal.
- Use gastric lavage.
- Administer a cathartic (a medication used to evacuate the bowels).
- Give an antidote.
- Treat the symptoms.
The outcome depends on the amount of exposure and how long it took before proper treatment began. If the poisoning has been over a long period of time, recovery may not be complete.
by Gevorg A. Poghosian, Ph.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.