Poisoning from an ingestion of chalk.

Poisonous Ingredient 

Chalk is generally considered to be non-toxic.

Where Found 

  • Chalk

Note: This list may not be all inclusive.


  • Gastrointestinal       o Abdominal pain       o Nausea and/or vomiting       o Constipation       o Diarrhea  
  • Eye irritation

Home Treatment 
For any toxic ingestion or allergic reaction, seek emergency medical care immediately. Wash any chalk from the skin or eyes. Call Poison Control for further guidance.

Before Calling Emergency 
Determine the following information:

  • The patient’s age, weight, and condition  
  • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)  
  • The time it was swallowed  
  • The amount swallowed

Poison Control, or a local emergency number 
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. Take the container or a sample with you to the emergency room.

What to expect at the emergency room 
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:

  • Treat the symptoms.

Expectations (prognosis) 
Chalk is considered a fairly nontoxic substance, so recovery is quite likely.

Johns Hopkins patient information

Last revised: December 3, 2012
by Levon Ter-Markosyan, D.M.D.

Medical Encyclopedia

  A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-9

All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.