Skin irritation from rubbing
When skin becomes irritated because of something rubbing, there are several things you can try, including:
- Avoid coarse clothing. Wear 100% cotton fabric against your skin.
- Eliminate friction against your skin by using appropriate clothing for the activity you are involved in (for example, athletic tights or cycling shorts).
- Avoid activity that is causing chafing unless it is part of your typical lifestyle, exercise routine, sporting or other activity.
- Wear clean and dry clothing. Dried sweat, chemicals, dirt and other debris may actually be causing the irritation.
- Temporarily use petroleum jelly or talcum powder as a lubricant on chafed areas of your skin. You can also apply preventively to areas that ordinarily chafe during certain activities - for example, your inner thighs or upper arms while running.
by Dave R. Roger, M.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.