Poisoning from a centipede bite.
- centipede venom
- body as a whole o pain in the area of bite o swelling in the area of bite o possible lymph node swelling
- skin o redness in the area of bite
Place ice (wrapped in a washcloth or other suitable covering) on the site of the bite for 10 minutes and then off for 10 minutes. Repeat this process. If patient has circulatory problems, decrease the time to prevent possible damage to the skin. A trip to the emergency room will probably not be necessary, but contact Poison Control just to make sure.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- the patient’s age, weight, and condition
- the identity of the centipede if possible
- the time of the bite
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital. See Poison Control centers for telephone numbers and addresses. If possible, bring the insect to the emergency room for identification.
What to expect at the emergency room
- Treat the symptoms.
Symptoms usually last less than 48 hours. Severe allergic reactions or contact with exotic specimens may require more treatment.
by Amalia K. Gagarina, M.S., R.D.
All ArmMed Media material is provided for information only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands your particular history for individual concerns.