Treats prostate cancer.
Trelstar Depot, Trelstar LA
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to triptorelin or other LHRH medicines (such as Factrelreg;, Lutrepulsereg;).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given.
- An intramuscular (in-tra-MUS-kyoo-ler) or IM injection is a shot given in the muscle of your upper arm, thigh, or buttocks.
- A nurse or other caregiver trained to give injections will give your treatment.
If a dose is missed:
- It is important that you receive this medicine on a regular basis. If you must miss an appointment for a shot, reschedule as soon as possible.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney or liver disease.
- When you first begin using this medicine, the symptoms of prostate cancer may get worse for a short time, or you may start having new symptoms. These symptoms may include bone pain, blood in the urine, or trouble urinating. This is only temporary. However, the symptoms may become serious enough to need medical attention. Discuss this with your doctor. Make sure you understand what symptoms to watch for and when you need to call the doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Rapid weight gain
- Swelling of face, hands, legs, or feet
- Weakness or loss of muscle control, especially in the legs or feet
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bone pain
- Decreased interest in sex, inability to have or maintain an erection
- Hot flashes
Revision date: July 6, 2011
Last revised: by Tatiana Kuznetsova, D.M.D.
Drugs & Medications
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.
The drug reference included in this section is provided by Cerner Multum, Inc., of Denver, Colorado. Armenian Medical Network receives monthly updates from Multum.