Triamcinolone (For The Teeth Or Gums)
Treats pain and redness caused by mouth sores or gum problems. Belongs to a class of drugs called corticosteroids.
Kenalog In Orabase
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to triamcinolone or if you have an infection in your mouth or throat.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor or dentist will tell you how much to use and how often.
- Use the medicine on the inside of your mouth.
- It is best to use the medicine at bedtime so it can work overnight. If you also use the medicine during the day, put it on after meals.
- Squeeze about 1/4 inch of the paste from the tube onto a cotton swab (Q-tipreg;). Press the paste on the area you are treating until the medicine sticks and a thin film forms.
- Do not rub the medicine in. Rubbing may cause the paste to crumble or become gritty.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- Do not put on two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and moisture. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have tuberculosis, diabetes, ulcers, or chickenpox before you use this medicine.
- If your symptoms do not get better after using this medicine for 7 days, tell your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe itching, burning, or irritation in your mouth
- Drainage, pus, or other signs of infection where you are using the medicine
Revision date: June 11, 2011
Last revised: by Tatiana Kuznetsova, D.M.D.
Drugs & Medications
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.
The drug reference included in this section is provided by Cerner Multum, Inc., of Denver, Colorado. Armenian Medical Network receives monthly updates from Multum.