More then half of the population of the United States is considered overweight. Obesity is a disease that contributes to the deaths of over 280,000 in the US each year. It is a sickness that people need to be educated about in order to understand it, and to be compassionate about it.
Many people believe that those who are overweight or obese are lazy and do not care about personal hygiene. Many overweight and obese people have given up the fight against obesity as they lack the discipline it takes to make the necessary lifestyle changes.
After trying every diet and weight loss pill on the market many overweight and obese people blame the weight loss companies for their failure to lose the weight. Many complain that after they stop using weight loss products they gain back the weight they lost, along with a few additional pounds in the process.
What consumers need to know is that there are no miracle diets that will have long term success, unless lifestyle changes including healthier eating and exercise are included as part of the process. These changes must be incorporated as part of a routine that will become a permanent part of your daily life.
If you struggle with weight issues or are suffering from obesity you must take the weight loss battle in steps.
1. Get in touch with your emotional eating habits - Understanding why you overeat is the first step to helping yourself. Figuring out why you turn to food can be difficult. You may think you just love to eat but there are issues behind your eating habits that have put you where you are. Therapy can be a great way to get in touch with the issues related to your weight and help you to get in the right frame of mind to lose weight.
2. Change your lifestyle - Make it a point to eat healthier foods and don’t tempt yourself by having fattening foods in the house.
3. Get Moving - Don’t be discouraged if at first you can only walk for five minutes a day. As you begin to move and your body’s circulation increases and you will find that you can do a little more each day. When you begin to lose the weight you will find that you can go for longer periods before feeling you have had enough.
4. Listen to your favorite music when exercising. Walking can be really pleasurable when you bring along a walkman. You may even find yourself taking longer walks as a result.
5. Join a support group - There are support groups available for people who are overweight that are great motivators. When you feel you are a part of something and that you have the support of those around you, weight loss comes a little easier.
6. Reward yourself with something other than food - Treat yourself to a manicure, new clothes, hairstyle change, or something else you enjoy for losing a few pounds.
Revision date: June 18, 2011
Last revised: by Jorge P. Ribeiro, MD